An Only Daughters Only Daughter...

Friday, January 06, 2006

I think I'll explain the only daughter thing...

I think I'll explain the "only daughter" thing.My maternal grandmother, Mae Isabel Walker Raper, was the only daughter of six kids.  My mother was the only daughter of 3 kids and I am the only daughter of the only kid.  Now I have a daughter and she will be the only kid too so the tradition continues.My great-uncle Ernest was a giant of a man. I remember him walking me around the laundry-mat he owned in Oklahoma City back in the early 70's carrying me in one enormous hand and reciting "She's an only daughter’s only daughters only daughter." He made me feel special for being an only daughter in a line of only daughters. He made me special for a lot of reasons. He was so dear to me. I spent hours with him and Aunt Jo playing in the laundry mat. What great memories.I lost my grandmother to leukemia when I was 17, she was 74. There is still a very deep dark hole in heart from losing her that I guess will never be filled. We called her Ma. She was incredible. I guess a lot of people hold their grandma's up on some kind of pedestal especially when time passes and the memories are all you have left. But Ma was really wonderful.She was the epitome of what a Grandma should be. She was born in June of 1907 in Indian Territory which later became the State of Oklahoma. She was the youngest of the six kids and the only girl.  She graduated high school and then went on to graduate from Oklahoma A&M College with a degree in Home Economics in 1930.  This was very unusual for women in those times and a great source of pride for our family.

Ma was 60 when I was born but she never seemed old.  She played with us kids (I have 5 cousins who were like sisters and brothers to me), she took the oldest cousin (with the rest of us in tow) cruising main street in Konawa, OK.  She let us swim in the ditch out at the farm when our dads’ had said no.  She had tea parties with us in the cellar.  She taught us that God loves us and Jesus died on the cross for our sins.  She taught us how to sew and to crochet and to cook.  She taught us how to take little bits of nothing and make them into the most wonderful somethings.  She taught us beauty and manners and a deep sense of respect for our heritage.  And, I guess the most important lesson she taught us was how to be strong and carry on once she was gone.

God I miss her.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:03 AM, Blogger Haole Girl said…

    We actually lived in OK for two years while the Hubster was going to grad school - Go Cowboys!!

    I always tell people that Oklahoma has some of the nicest, most decent, most down-to-earth people I've ever met. Looking forward to reading your blog!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home